Get practical, insider advice to help you build your health writing career.
Discover how to become a health & medical writer.
- How it works: This course is available on demand. You’ll receive the first lesson as soon as you sign up. Every day for 12 days, you’ll be sent a new lesson.
- Teacher: Michelle Guillemard (Founder, Health Writer Hub)
- Requirements: An internet connection, a curious mind and the desire to explore a rewarding, new career direction!
Ready to break into health writing?
Here’s what you’ll learn in the course.
- Lesson 1: What do health writers do? The scope and variety may surprise you.
- Lesson 2. Who do health writers work for? The businesses, companies and clients who work with health writers.
- Lesson 3. What skills and qualifications do health writers need? Options for enhancing your skills and further training.
- Lesson 4. The importance of writing clear health content. Writing tips and advice to help you produce high-quality, socially responsible health content.
- Lesson 5. How to stay up-to-date with the industry. Regulations, laws, controversies and news.
- Lesson 6. How to get health writing experience. It’s time to create your health writing portfolio.
- Lesson 7. Becoming a freelance health writer. Build your freelance business and finding work from anywhere in the world.
- Lesson 8. Becoming an employed health writer and finding jobs. Where and how to find full-time and part-time jobs.
- Lesson 9. Making contacts and networking with other health writers. How you can make lifelong connections in the health writing industry.
- Lesson 10. Transitioning to health writing from another area. How academics, health professionals and general writers can transition to health writing.
- Lesson 11. How much money health writers make. Where some of the best-paying markets are.
- Lesson 12. Building and defining your career as a health writer. Including how to focus on the health-related areas you love within the industry.
“PACKED WITH HIGH-QUALITY, ACTIONABLE CONTENT.”
“The 12-day course was packed with high quality, actionable content. It was not only engaging and insightful, it was also concisely written into easy-to-digest chunks. The large amount of additional reading material provided further interest and depth to the course. Each lesson linked well with the next lesson and the course flowed seamlessly. The presentation of the information was clearly formatted ensuring an easy-to-read email. Your friendly and conversational writing style are a breath of fresh air and I found myself looking forward to the next instalment. You have well-and-truly over-delivered with your “Breaking Into Health Writing” course. Congratulations!” – Joanne Thambyah
“MICHELLE IS THE GO-TO EXPERT FOR THOSE STARTING OUT A WRITING CAREER IN THE HEALTH NICHE”
“I was fortunate enough to have Michelle as my writing mentor when I first began health writing. She’s the go-to expert for those starting out a writing career in the health or medical niche, with insider tips and advice to help you start successfully. In fact, Michelle pointed me to an online resource where I managed to land one of my best paying clients!” – Joe Leech, Diet vs Disease
The course commences as soon as you sign up.
Hi – I’m Michelle Guillemard, founder of Health Writer Hub (you can read more about Health Writer Hub and me here). I’m also the President of the Australasian Medical Writers Association (AMWA) and the Director of Purely Content, a health & medical writing business based in Sydney, Australia.
I created Health Writer Hub in 2013 – after recognising the growing need for an industry-specific resource for health writers around the world.
I’ve been immersed in the health & medical writing industry for more than a decade. I can’t even tell you how many health articles and blogs I’ve written, edited and commissioned over the years – but I have been fortunate enough to work with some of the world’s best healthcare brands and businesses, like the British Medical Journal, Elsevier, Everyday Health, and many more.
As well as writing and teaching my passion here at Health Writer Hub, I contribute to the European Medical Writers Association Journal, and run training workshops for AMWA and Cheeky Scientist.
The first word that comes to mind when I think of health writing is ‘opportunity’.
There really is so much work available – and, if you’re willing to learn the art of health writing and take a few chances along the way, you’ll do very well in this field.
So, what do you say – are you ready to break into health writing with me?
“I LOOKED FORWARD TO EACH DAY SEEING WHAT THE NEXT NUGGET WOULD BE!”
“Hi Michelle, thanks so much for the 12 lessons. I looked forward each day to seeing what the next nugget would be! It has been motivational for me, and is helping me focus on next steps.” – Lee Nourse
You’ll be sent the first lesson as soon as you register.
Frequently asked questions
How long will I have access to the course?
You’ll have lifetime access to all the emails. Store them, print them, or stick them up on your wall!
Can I email you during the course if I have a question?
Yes, please do! I’d love to hear from you. I always respond to emails, and even though this is an on-demand course, I’m here to answer any questions you have. Feel free to email me along the way – simply reply to any of the emails and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.
Can I still take this course if I’m American/ English/ Australian/ European?
I often get students contacting me and asking this question. I have designed ALL my courses to be relevant for any English-speaking writer, anywhere. I don’t believe that your location should limit your health writing career prospects and everything that is taught in this course is applicable at a global level. I’ve had students from Australia, America, New Zealand, Asia, Europe and the UK take this and other courses.
How often is the course material updated?
The course material is reviewed and updated throughout the year. Additionally, I am constantly keeping up to date with new industry trends and looking for the latest advice to include – helping to ensure the content is always as relevant and current as possible.
Do you offer a guarantee?
It’s really important to me that everyone who signs up for all of my courses is able to get the most out of their course. I want you to be satisfied that the course content is exactly as described on this page, and I very much care about providing a quality, valuable course for all students. If you are not happy with the course content after the first week, I encourage you to let me know so we can discuss your concerns together. If we can’t come to an agreement, you may be eligible for a refund (less $25 administration fee). This guarantee is valid for 10 days after your course commencement date and all refunds are discretionary as determined by me. (Please note: refunds do not apply if you simply change your mind.)
How can I contact you?
If you have a question about Breaking Into Health Writing, you can reach me here.
“I HAVE NOT LOOKED BACK … MICHELLE’S ADVICE AND SUPPORT ARE FABULOUS”
Michelle is friendly and approachable and her advice and support are fabulous for guiding me through the early phases of business set-up and delivery. Michelle shares her business insights openly, understands my needs well and is readily available to talk whenever I need further advice. I highly recommend Michelle to anyone seeking a confident entry into the medical and health writing field. – Kara Gilbert