Discover how to write clear, engaging health and science content.
Learn the essential features of simple, effective writing.
- Next start date: June 2017
- Course duration: 4 weeks
- Time commitment: 4-8 hours per week
- Teacher: Michelle Guillemard
- Format: Videos, notes, writing tasks, live group calls and student forums
- Requirements: An internet connection, an open mind and the will to stop writing like a scientist!
Who should take this course?
This course is for you if you:
- Struggle to write clearly about health, science and medicine
- Would like support and feedback to help you enhance your writing skills
- Need to know how to write clear, easy-to-understand health content for your readers
- Feel you could – and should – be getting better results from your writing
- Wish you were more confident in your writing abilities
- Would love to help create better health outcomes for your readers and patients
Ready to enhance your writing skills?
Here’s what you’ll learn.
- Explain complex scientific and medical terms clearly and simply
- Stop using excessive jargon and medical terminology
- Empower people who have little or no prior knowledge of science, research and medicine
- Improve your writing’s readability with easy formatting tips and tricks
- Write catchy, credible and clickable headlines and intros
- Keep your readers engaged and interested in your content
- Write simply without sacrificing the original scientific meaning of your work
- Hone your tone of voice and unique personality for maximum impact
- Inspire positive behaviour change and get people excited about their health
- Captivate your readers with effective storytelling techniques
- Promote patient adherence by adopting evidence-based strategies
- Achieve maximum impact by tailoring your writing to the right medium
- Plus, much more!
I AM A MUCH BETTER WRITER AFTER COMPLETING THIS COURSE
“Simple Health & Science Writing is a fantastic course and a tremendous value. Michelle packs her lessons with specific instructions on how to write more clearly, concisely, and effectively. She provides templates for writing science articles and blog posts as well as links to useful information and handouts. Michelle gives constructive, detailed, and encouraging feedback on the writing assignments. I am a much better writer after completing this course, and I highly recommend it!”
Nicola Gillespie, USA | Nicola Gillespie, Medical Writer & Veterinarian
How does it work?
Here’s what you can expect.
Simple Health & Science Writing runs for 4 weeks, with a new lesson released every Monday.
Every lesson contains 4 modules. You’ll complete the lesson in your own time during the week, and each lesson requires a time commitment of around 4 hours.
Every module includes writing exercises, homework, recommended reading and a list of high-quality references. Your lessons conclude with a multiple choice quiz.
About your writing tasks and coaching calls
Every lesson includes writing tasks and exercises. We’ll discuss your tasks in one of two included private coaching calls (these are separate to the two included group coaching calls). In these calls, I’ll be giving you your feedback – which includes plenty of practical tips to help you improve your writing. The calls also enable us to “meet” virtually which is always a lot of fun!
Here’s what you get.
- 16 presentations – 4 core modules per week for 4 weeks
- 2 live video calls where we’ll get together virtually and you can pick my brain
- 2 hours of personal coaching with me where we discuss your writing tasks in detail
- 4 x 10-question quizzes – to reinforce the lesson content
- Dozens of recommended reading links – including my favourite go-to resources
- Best-practice examples – showing you the best of the best when it comes to simple health and science writing
- Weekly writing exercises – as well as tasks, to-dos and homework (don’t worry, it’s the fun kind!)
- Ongoing tools, resources and strategies – helping you continue to simplify long after you’ve completed the course
- Student-only discussion forums – so you can chat with other students
- Certificate of completion – to use towards self-assessed CPD
- Writing task feedback – so you can get personalised support to help you improve your skills
- Lifetime access – keep coming back, whenever you need to
I LOOK FORWARD TO APPLYING WHAT I’VE LEARNED IN MY FUTURE WRITING PROJECTS
“I loved the Simple Health & Science Writing course! It helped me gain a much better understanding of why simple health & science writing is so important. The tools and techniques described in the course have been very helpful to me, and I look forward to applying what I’ve learned to my future writing projects.”
JoAnna Pendergrass DVM, USA | JPen Communications
Your curriculum guide.
Lesson 1: Essential features of clear, simple writing
It’s time to stop writing like an academic and start simplifying. In this lesson, you’ll:
- Consider how people consume content and the impact of clear – and poor – communication.
- Learn the core features of high-quality, clear consumer health writing – and how they differ from other forms of writing.
- Be taught effective techniques to help you break down complex science and research into simple terms and stop using jargon.
- Discover easy and essential formatting tips and tricks that will instantly improve your readability.
Lesson 2: Engagement techniques
Simple writing isn’t just about writing simply – it’s also about captivating your readers. In this lesson, you’ll:
- Learn best-practice approaches to writing accurate, eye-catching headlines and intros.
- Study the effective methods that keep readers engaged and interested in your content.
- Be given tools and methods to identify the most effective ways to write for your ideal reader.
- Discover how to identify the best tone of voice and learn how to add personality to your writing.
Lesson 3: Behaviour change through effective writing
Take your writing to the next level with powerful, creative writing techniques. In this lesson, you’ll:
- Study the most powerful writing strategies to inspire and motivate your readers to take action.
- Learn how the world’s best science storytellers captivate their readers and inspire change.
- Understand when and how to use metaphors, similes and analogies.
- Discover the most effective science-backed tactics that promote patient adherence.
Lesson 4: Apply your skills to different writing styles
Learn how to achieve maximum impact by writing in the most suitable style. In this lesson, you’ll:
- Learn effective step-by-step approaches to help you write clear articles and patient information.
- Get remplates, resources and guidelines for writing simple blogs and web content.
- Discover how to write about science clearly on social media.
- Be taught the most crucial dos and don’ts that make or break your simple health and science writing.
“This course is an introduction to clear health writing for the public, from formatting to tips for clear writing. The comprehensive references and recommended reading collection provide further information on the topic, and the writing tasks make it possible to apply your newly acquired knowledge. I highly recommend this course for all beginners.”
Alexandra Bouzourniouk, Germany
Hi – I’m Michelle Guillemard, founder of Health Writer Hub (you can read more about Health Writer Hub and me here). For more than a decade, I’ve simplified complex topics for hospitals, health professionals, medical specialists, medical journals and dozens of healthcare brands and businesses.I’ve written about heart surgery, liver surgery, psychology, neuroscience, neurosurgery, the chemistry of extraction, and much more. I’ve also lectured medical students on the art of clear writing, and have taught hundreds of students about health writing.
For me, simple health and science writing is about producing clear, engaging, convincing and trustworthy content.
That means more than just choosing words and phrases the Average Jane understands.
It’s about promoting adherence, fostering knowledge growth, inspiring behaviour change and, ultimately, creating better health outcomes.
I couldn’t be more excited to teach Simple Health & Science Writing. I’ve been reading and collecting fascinating material to include in this course for months! And now I’m sharing it with you.
While I’ve done my fair share of simple health and science writing, I want you to think of me as your bridge to the experts.
In this course, you’ll be looking at the methods used by leaders in the field, and uncovering what you can learn from their work.
That’s why I include plenty of examples of those who are setting the bar high when it comes to writing simply about health, science and medicine.
That includes social media stars, health and science bloggers, journalists, online health experts, book authors, and more.
So, what do you say – are you ready to learn the art of simple with me?
MICHELLE PROVIDED GREAT FEEDBACK AND WAS WILLING TO DISCUSS IDEAS
“Michelle provides a high-quality course. I found she provided useful feedback and was willing to discuss ideas. The written assignments are great and practical. The flexibility of subject matter enabled me to write about my specific topic of interest, leaving me with some articles for my portfolio. I was amazed at the difference in my writing task from lesson 1 to lesson 4.”
Chris Delaine, Australia
Frequently asked questions
What you need to know.
When are the live calls?
Once I know who will take the course and where they’re from, I will schedule the group calls at a time that suits most if not everyone. If you can’t make the group call, it will be recorded so you can view it later.
When are the private coaching calls?
We generally schedule the calls after you have completed your first few tasks – so, we’ll have one call halfway through the course, and another towards the end of the course period. I will discuss this with you once your course has commenced. I use Zoom for all my coaching calls.
Why should I take your health writing course when I can learn how to write online for free?
Believe it or not, this is a question I sometimes receive! It’s true you can find a lot of free writing advice online (and on my blog in particular). But here’s the difference. When you take one of my writing courses, you have my full support. You have your own teacher. And, that’s because I don’t feel I can teach you how to improve your writing skills unless you get feedback. I believe the three most important steps to take to improve your writing are reading, practice and feedback. You can (and should) do the first two on your own, but the third? That’s where I come in. And, that’s why ALL my courses include my feedback and support. I don’t just send you the materials and call it a day. When you take one of my courses, I spend a lot of time reading your tasks and giving you practical steps to help you become the best health writer you can be.
How much time do I need to set aside?
I recommend that, each week, you allow around 4 hours for watching the videos and reviewing all of the course materials. The amount time you spend completing your writing task is a personal decision – most students spend several hours on each task, while others can complete their task in just a couple of hours – or need more time. As all students are at different stages with their writing and have different skillsets, there is no one way to go about it.
Can I start the course before or after the official start date?
Many of my students have schedules which can make it difficult to commit – and, that’s why I’m very flexible with all my courses. You can absolutely start earlier, or later, as a lot of the learning is self-directed. If you would like to register and have early access to the course, please email me.
Why aren’t the lessons live?
People from all over the world take Health Writer Hub’s courses, so it’s very hard to find a time that suits everyone involved. The materials are ready for you to view at a time that suits you – enabling you to get the most out of your learning experience. Your course includes a student-only forum where you can post questions and answers and interact with the other students taking the course at the time. And, of course, you have unlimited email access to me for the duration of the course.
How many people take this course?
Student numbers vary from course to course, but there will never be more than 30 students. I intentionally limit places in all my courses, as every course has a personalised element – and, there is only so much of me to go around! So, if you are keen to take this course, I recommend you sign up early to avoid disappointment.
What is your guarantee/refund policy?
It’s really important to me that everyone who signs up for Simple Health & Science Writing gets the most out of their course. I want you to be satisfied that the course content is exactly as described on this page, and I very much care about providing a quality, valuable course for all students. If you are not happy with the course content after the first week, I encourage you to let me know so we can discuss your concerns together. If we can’t come to an agreement, you may be eligible for a refund (less $80 administration fee). This guarantee is valid for 10 days after your course commencement date and all refunds are discretionary as determined by me. (Please note: refunds do not apply if you simply change your mind.)
How do I sign up?
To sign up, simply click on the SIGN UP NOW button on this page. You’ll then be asked to complete your payment via PayPal. This course is priced in AUD and this will be converted to your local currency by PayPal. You will receive a confirmation receipt and order number after you complete your payment.
How do I access the course?
This course is conducted online, so you’ll need a laptop and an internet connection – as well as a PDF reader. I use Zoom for my live calls.
How long will I have access
You can access all course materials for as long as you need to. If you still need access after the 4-week course period, you’ll be able to continue to use the materials.
Do I only have one week to review each lesson’s materials?
You have as long as you like. Many students like to take their time with the materials. The choice is yours, and rest assured I’m not going anywhere – once you sign up for the course, you will have my support whenever you need it.
Do you offer loyalty discounts?
I do indeed! All students who take one of my courses will receive a voucher for 30% off any of my other courses. You can get in touch with me if you have any questions about this.
Will you give me feedback?
You have the option to submit all your tasks for feedback. The Simple Health & Science Writing course also includes student forums, where I’ll be answering your questions. Additionally, we’ll have 2 live calls where we’ll be talking openly about the course materials and discussing the techniques in the course.
How often is the course material updated?
I review and update the course material throughout the year. Also I survey all students after they have completed the course and their suggestions are incorporated. Additionally, I’m constantly keeping up to date with new industry trends and looking for the latest advice to include – helping to ensure the content is always as relevant and current as possible.
Can I still take the course if I’m American/ English/ Australian/ European?
This is a common question! I’ve designed the course to be relevant for any English-speaking writer, anywhere. That’s why everything taught in this course is applicable at a global level. We’ve had students from Australia, America, New Zealand, Asia, Europe and the UK take this and other Health Writer Hub writing courses.
Can you help me set up a freelance writing business?
This course is primarily designed to teach you about different styles of health writing. While we discuss aspects of running a freelance business, it’s not a freelance health writing course. If you’re interested in learning how to set up a freelance writing business, take a look at my How To Become A Freelance Health Writer course.
I have a question – how can I contact you?
I welcome questions and enquiries and am happy to hear from you. Please contact me via the contact form here.
What is the cost?
Simple Health & Science Writing costs $529 AUD. There are often early-bird discounts available, and the best way to keep up-to-date with these is to check this page regularly and subscribe to the Health Writer Hub Newsletter here.
Do you offer CPD points or accreditation?
When you successfully complete the course, meaning you’ve reviewed the modules and completed your assignments, you’ll receive a certificate of completion. You can use this to demonstrate hours for self-assessed CPD. If you’d like to find out more or discuss your accreditation requirements, please contact me here.