Create your health writing portfolio and use it to get freelance or employed work
How to Create a Health Writing Portfolio is an on-demand course teaching you:
- Exactly why you need a health writing portfolio
- What pieces you need in your health writing portfolio
- How to set up your health writing portfolio
- How to use your portfolio to get freelance or employed work.
More than 2000 students in 42 countries have taken our courses.
Learn at your own pace, from anywhere in the world, with unlimited access.
We’re independently accredited for quality, academic standards and professional development.
The lessons walk you through exactly how to create your health writing portfolio.
What you’ll achieve
How to Create a Health Writing Portfolio will give you tools and resources for creating your own writing portfolio.
- Define your target clients or employers
- Determine writing styles to focus on
- Workshop topics and ideas for health & medical content for your portfolio
- Decide what your portfolio will look like
- Decide how many pieces will be in your portfolio
- Make sure your pieces are industry standard
- Use your samples to get paid work
- Feel more confident when you apply for writing jobs.
Who is this course for?
The How to Create a Health Writing Portfolio course is perfect for you if:
- You don’t have a portfolio yet
- You want a way to demonstrate your writing skills and find work
- You want to give yourself the best chance of standing out
- You are serious about committing to your writing future.
How does this course work?
Here’s what you can expect.
- Start learning as soon as you join
- Work through the lessons at your own pace
- Email your teacher whenever you have questions.
- Email with your teacher to discuss your career next steps
- Get personalised feedback and guidance
- Feel supported in your new career journey.
Industry-leading resources to help you plan your career transition with confidence.
- Comprehensive lessons (audio lectures AND text modules) meeting the core learning objectives
- Homework questions to help you reflect and put the learnings into practice
- Personal feedback and all your questions answered
- 14 free health writing webinars to enhance your learning objectives
- Lively student-only Facebook group of 1100+ writers
- Ongoing access so you can dive back in whenever you need a refresher
- Loyalty discounts giving you 30% off every other course
- World-class eLearning platform for a seamless learning experience.
Your guide to creating a quality portfolio of health & medical writing samples.
Part 1: Understanding writing portfolios
- What exactly is a health writing portfolio?
Learn what a portfolio means in industry terms.
- The importance of having a health writing portfolio.
Discover how a quality portfolio benefits your career and why it's essential for all professional writers.
- How to know if you are ready to create your portfolio.
Do you have the skills to create a high-quality portfolio? Let’s find out.
Part 2: Planning your portfolio
- The strategy behind your portfolio – who it’s for and why.
Designing a portfolio that suits your audience and skillset.
- How many pieces you need in your portfolio – and how long they need to be.
Choose the best pieces to put in your portfolio (it’s okay if you haven’t written anything yet – we’ll cover that, too!).
- Do your pieces need to be published?
Learn options for your portfolio if you don’t have any writing with your byline attached.
Part 3: Setting up your portfolio
- Choosing the portfolio option that’s right for you.
There are many different portfolio options out there – we’ll cover all the options.
- Making sure your pieces are professionally written.
How to implement quality control before you hit that publish button.
- Design fundamentals.
It’s not all about the writing – give yourself the best chance of standing out with a professional look and feel.
Part 4: Career guidance
- Setting up and publishing your portfolio.
What to do when you’re ready to hit that publish button.
- Using your portfolio to get work.
You have a portfolio. Now what? We’ll explore options for using your samples to get paid work.
- Keeping your portfolio updated, and a recap.
Maintenance and a summary of your learning outcomes.
Free templates, checklists, planners and 10+ hours of online learning (value $500).
- 14 webinars – webinar topics include quoting for jobs, finding clients, CV writing, finding employed work, website essentials, subcontracting, marketing and more!
- Freelance Career Planner – map out your freelance career transition confidently with our detailed planner
- Foundations of Readability & Plain English Checklist – ensure your writing captures the essential readability techniques all health writers need to know
- Writing templates – simplify the writing process with our handy templates
- COVID-19 communication resources – stay updated with the latest health communication best practices
Join a supportive group of like-minded writers
When you join the Build Your Portfolio Masterclass, you become a member of the Health Writer Hub Alumni – a smart, diverse and friendly community of 1000+ health writers from around the world. Alumni benefits include:
- Loyalty discounts – 30% off any other Health Writer Hub course
- Weekly challenges – goals to keep you motivated and accountable
- Student interviews – learn the ropes from experienced students
- Extra group calls – monthly group chats with other Alumni
- Global networking – connect with 1000+ health writers from around the world
- A supportive network of health writers – ask questions, and share advice
- Immediate access – join the group as soon as you sign up.
Who I am, and why I want to help you succeed.
Hi – I’m Michelle Guillemard, creator of Health Writer Hub and your writing portfolio guide. Students have been asking me to create this course for years – and I’m now so excited to offer it!
I know that so many aspiring writers get confused and overwhelmed when it comes to creating a health writing portfolio. I’m here to help you simplify the process and get it done – so you can get on with the important stuff: Finding work and getting paid.
In this course, I'll help you plan a high-quality writing portfolio that demonstrates your writing skills, gives you an edge and makes a professional first impression. After you complete this course, you'll have everything you need to create your portfolio and use it to find paid work (freelance or employed).
Importantly, there's no one-size-fits-all approach to creating a writing portfolio. There are many different strategies, and we'll talk through various options so you can choose one that best suits your goals. It's all about helping writers like you create high-quality writing samples that you can use to get paid work.
If you want to kickstart your health & medical writing career with a strong portfolio of industry-leading content, this is the course is for you. Importantly: I don't teach specific writing skills in this course. If you want support with the writing side of things, check out my Build Your Portfolio Masterclass or my other health writing courses.
Frequently asked questions
What you need to know.