Health & medical writing is a growing field
With more and more writers looking to specialise in a niche, the health & medical writing field continues to increase in popularity.
And for good reason. The work is rewarding – you’re helping people improve their health, adhere to their treatments, and change unhealthy behaviours.
The clients and job opportunities are as fascinating as they are diverse. You could be writing about heart health one day and paediatrics the next. You could write anything and everything from healthy lifestyle advice to a systematic review, patient information, or be engaged to edit a book.
There is plenty of work available. And, most importantly, it pays well!
Why take a medical writing course?
Taking a course to improve your health and medical writing skills is important for any writer wanting to specialise.
Writing well about medicine takes specific expertise, and it’s not something that general writers can do easily.
Knowing how to write about medicine accurately without over promising yet still making content appealing and interesting takes a lot of practice.
Those writing for consumers also need to know how to write about complex topics clearly.
If you’re writing for the web, or marketing health products, it’s also important to be aware of regulations, content strategy, social media, how people read online content, SEO and keyword research, and more.
Employers like writers to have relevant experience, so they can trust the work they’re getting is high quality, credible and reliable.
Courses improve your skills so you know that, regardless of whether you’re freelancing or looking for employed work, you’re providing high-quality health & medical writing.
What to look for in quality medical writing courses
- Highly experienced teacher – your teacher should have speciality experience in the field of health & medical writing
- Feedback – reading feedback from past students is a great way to gauge how valuable the course is
- Student forums – being able to connect with other students during the learning process makes it fun and enhances the teachings
- Dedicated curriculum – the curriculum should address your specific needs and be clearly explained, with the key learning objectives detailed
- Flexible learning – being able to access materials whenever and wherever you like during the course period makes it easier to learn if you have other commitments
How much do medical writing courses cost?
Prices for courses do vary – and some online courses can cost thousands.
At Health Writer Hub, our courses range from $200-450 USD (but are priced in AUD). I aim to make our courses affordable for writers who are just starting out and want to grow their skills but don’t have a lot of spare money to throw around.
What will I learn?
Course curriculum for health & medical writing courses depends on the focus topics of the course – but courses typically teach the following skills:
- Different styles of writing – including news, article writing, patient handouts, web content, sales content, and more
- Rules and regulations – marketing health products, promoting health professional services
- Where to find jobs – opportunities and the market
- Techniques to improve skills – improving speciality skills like copywriting, to general clear writing skills
- Specific skills for medical writers – everything from how to research properly to
- Writing about clinical evidence – how to ensure your writing is always high quality and credible
- Formats – different content formats required by most clients and employers
Getting feedback on your writing
Feedback and coaching are essential components of any writing course.
Feedback helps you improve your skills and work on your specific strengths and weaknesses.
Getting feedback from an experienced writing teacher will help you to improve your skills and put the course learnings into practice.
Online medical writing courses
At Health Writer Hub, I offer a range of 4 to 6-week online health & medical writing courses to help you learn essential techniques in a short space of time.
You can learn at your own pace, but have the benefit of teacher support and student forums.
You also get lifetime access to the materials.
I offer the following courses:
- Introduction To Health Writing – a 6-week online course teaching you how to write high-quality consumer health & medical content
- How To Become A Freelance Health Writer – a course designed to teach writers how to set up a health medical writing freelance business
- Breaking Into Health Writing – an on-demand, career-focused course introducing you to the health & medical writing field
Through Health Writer Hub, I’ve taught hundreds of students the art of health & medical writing.
Many of my students have gone on to run their own successful businesses, start health blogs, get employed work as a medical writer, and get published in quality magazines.
If you have any questions, I’d love to chat to you about my courses – please feel free to get in touch with me here.