Build a portfolio of quality writing samples.
Welcome to Build Your Portfolio Masterclass, a 1:1 mentoring program designed to help you build a strong portfolio when you have no writing experience.
Next program starts: 22 March 2021
To be considered for the program, you must be able to commit to 6-8 hours per week for the 16-week program (starting 22 March 2021) and pay the program fee on application.
- Write eight quality writing samples for your portfolio
- Work 1:1 with an experienced writing mentor
- Stay motivated and accountable
- Use your samples to get paid work
- Invest in your writing future.
Helped me enhance my writing skills and approach my freelance business with more focus and confidence
“Michelle is a wonderful person, a great teacher, mentor, and listener. You will see this reflect in the course content and interactions with her. She helped me narrow down my niche, improve my website and LinkedIn profile, and create my portfolio. Her comments and feedback helped me enhance my writing skills and approach my freelance business with more focus and confidence. If you are looking for a mentor or looking to improve your writing skills and create a portfolio, I highly recommend Michelle’s Masterclass.”
Krithika Muthukumaran, PhD, Canada
Who should take this masterclass?
Build Your Portfolio Masterclass is perfect for you if:
- You have zero published writing experience
- You want to build a portfolio but have no idea how to start
- You prefer to work 1:1 with a mentor instead of taking a group course
- You are serious about investing in your writing future
- You are ready to write … a lot!
What will you learn?
Build Your Portfolio Masterclass is a 1:1 mentoring program, designed to help you create eight quality health & medical writing samples for your writing portfolio.
- Define your niche and target clients or employers
- Determine your writing styles
- Workshop topics and ideas for health & medical content for your portfolio
- Plan your writing program
- Workshop your tasks until they are industry standard
- Learn how to leverage your portfolio to find work.
After you complete the masterclass, you will have eight portfolio pieces to show prospective clients, editors and employers. In other words, you’ll have proof that you ARE a writer!
How does it work?
Here’s what you can expect.
Build Your Portfolio Masterclass runs for four months. Included in the masterclass is on-demand access to Introduction to Health Writing.
During the four-month course period, you will have fortnightly calls with your teacher and review Introduction to Health Writing in your own time.
You’ll work on your portfolio writing tasks between calls and receive ongoing feedback for the duration of the program.
This feedback will empower you to improve your skills, identify any bad habits and achieve industry standards.
At the end of the masterclass, you’ll have eight pieces of work to include in your portfolio.
Your guide to a quality portfolio of health & medical writing samples.
Week 1: Introductions and planning
We begin with a career coaching session and a comprehensive overview of the health writing industry. Determining your focus, we will discuss your niche, ideal clients or employers and the type of writing services you want to offer.
Week 2: Setting your writing tasks
After identifying your vision for your health & medical writing career, we create your portfolio program for the next 12 weeks. We’ll be creating portfolio items that you can use to get paid work.
Weeks 3-14: Writing and workshopping
The next 12 weeks are all about writing. You will write your tasks, receive feedback on your tasks, address any edits and re-submit your tasks until your mentor is confident your work is at the right standard to show clients and editors.
Weeks 15-16: Next steps, industry guidance, pitching advice
We wrap up your masterclass by putting an action plan into place, identifying your next steps, and setting a series of short and long-term goals for your future writing career.
FREE access to the Health Writer Hub Alumni Webinar Library
- 14 webinars with new webinars released every few months
- Watch on-demand with lifetime access
- 10+ hours of online learning included for free
- Learn about freelance writing, finding work and writing tips – webinar topics include quoting for jobs, finding clients, CV writing, finding employed work, website essentials, subcontracting, marketing, and more!
Join a supportive group of like-minded copywriters
When you join the Build Your Portfolio Masterclass, you become a member of the Health Writer Hub Alumni – a smart, diverse and friendly community of 700+ health writers from around the world. Alumni benefits include:
- Loyalty discounts – 30% off any other Health Writer Hub course
- Weekly challenges – goals to keep you motivated and accountable
- Student interviews – learn the ropes from experienced students
- Extra group calls – monthly group chats with other Alumni
- Global networking – connect with health writers from around the world
- A supportive network of health writers – ask questions, and share advice
- Immediate access – join the group as soon as you sign up.
Who I am, and why I want to help you succeed.
Hi – I’m Michelle Guillemard, creator of Health Writer Hub (you can read more about me here).
When I launched Health Writer Hub in 2014, my aim was to create a best-practice resource to empower health writers to develop their skills, grow their careers and improve the quality of health content on the web.
Over the years, I’ve helped hundreds of health writers to improve their skills through personalised feedback and mentoring.
Some prefer the flexibility of a group course. Others want extensive individual support and coaching that can only come from working 1:1 with a mentor. That’s why I created the Build Your Portfolio Masterclass – a tailored mentoring program that helps new writers like you create high-quality writing samples that you can use to get paid work.
If you want to kickstart your health & medical writing career with a strong portfolio of industry-leading content, then my Build Your Portfolio Masterclass is the program for you.