Welcome to How To Become A Freelance Health Writer, a 6-week online course teaching you how to find clients, set rates, get quotes approved and launch your freelance health & medical writing business.
Starts June 2018
The course includes podcasts, handouts, group calls and private instructor support to help you get the most out of the course.
Who should take this course?
This course is designed for you if you’re:
- A health professional, scientist, MD or PhD interested in health writing
You’re keen to explore opportunities for health writing in addition to, or instead of, your clinical or scientific work
- A health writer who wants effective strategies to secure regular income as a freelancer
You want to make an equivalent or better salary than your current role offers
- A health writer who wants to work flexible hours at home
You’re looking to have control over your working hours so you can care for your children or manage other commitments
- A health communicator who want to transition to freelance writing
You have writing skills and health knowledge, but not a lot of experience in marketing, finding clients, pitching ideas or applying for freelance roles
- A new freelance writer who is keen to focus on health and medical writing
You want to turn your passion for health writing into a secure, long-term career
Found my first client within 6 weeks
“Michelle’s course was excellent. This was my first taste of medical/health writing and following the course I felt like I had a clear plan for how to proceed to find my way into the industry. Following the suggestions from the course I found my first client within 6 weeks.”
Matt Boyd | Adapt Research & Writing
Ready to become a freelance health writer?
Here’s what you’ll learn.
- Effective strategies for finding clients and retaining clients
- The rates you should be charging and how to get your quotes approved
- How to differentiate yourself from other health writers and find your unique selling point
- What clients are looking for when they’re considering working with you
- How to market yourself effectively and bring clients to you (so you don’t have to cold-call)
- The most powerful and impactful content to include on your health writing website
- The best day-to-day processes to help you work productively and efficiently
- The essential templates, contracts, documents and tools that all freelancers need
- A business plan that inspires and empowers you to achieve your goals
Walks you through every aspect of becoming a freelance writer
“When I became aware of Health Writer Hub, I very quickly realised that this was the single most useful resource in my quest to become a freelance medical writer. As an academic scientist, making the transition from lab bench to medical writer has not been the easiest or straightforward of tasks. However, after enrolling on Michelle’s ‘How to become a freelance writer’ course, that path has been well and truly illuminated. From setting a business plan to formulating templates and processes, Michelle walks you through every aspect of becoming a freelance writer.”
Dr James Graham | Craftext
How does it work?
Here’s what you can expect.
How To Become A Freelance Health Writer runs for six weeks, and every week we focus on a new lesson. You’ll complete the lesson in your own time during the week, and each lesson requires a time commitment of around 4-8 hours.
We’ll discuss the lesson content in two group calls, where you can meet other students and ask me any questions. You also have 24/7 access to our student group, the Health Writer Hub Alumni.
Here’s what you get.
Lessons packed full of useful, actionable content
24 audio lectures
Podcasts covering the weekly learning objectives
2 group calls
We’ll get together virtually to discuss the course content
Resources to complement the weekly lessons
Weekly to-do lists
Support to help guide your decision-making processes
Summaries of the key learning objectives and take-homes
Connect with other Health Writer Hub students
Access to course updates throughout the year
1:1 feedback answering all your questions
Refer back to the material whenever you want
Learn at your own pace at any time during the week
Including free monthly webinars and loyalty discounts
The go-to expert for those starting out a writing career in the health niche
“I was fortunate enough to have Michelle as my writing mentor when I began health writing. She’s the go-to expert for those starting out a writing career in the health or medical niche, with insider tips and advice to help you start successfully. In fact, Michelle pointed me to an online resource where I managed to land one of my best-paying clients!”
Joe Leech | Diet vs Disease
Lesson 1: Freelancing Essentials & Establishing Goals
- How to write a freelance health writing business plan and why planning is key to your success
- Clarity on your unique freelancing vision and areas of focus
- How to stand out in a relatively crowded and competitive niche
- Setting goals that will motivate you and enable success and growth
- Business plan nitty gritty and how to write the perfect plan to help you achieve your goals
Lesson 2: Processes, Templates & Must-Have Documents
- How to be prepared for any client or job that comes your way
- The most effective working and client liaison processes
- The must-have templates and documents that will save you time and money
- Your freelance health writing toolkit – everything you need to get set up and running smoothly
One of my best investments
“I would say that How To Become A Freelance Health Writer is one of my best investments on courses. I am so glad to have taken it! I learned at the beginning that I needed to have a business plan, which I now know is very important, if not vital. With Michelle’s enlightening teaching, I came up with my niche of bilingual Chinese and English medical writing. I cannot be happier with it! My favourite is the lesson on setting up a website. Before the course, I would not ever ponder setting up my own website, sending newsletters, or writing a blog. I am doing all of these now. The course has transformed me, from knowing nothing about freelancing to conducting my business with confidence. Michelle is also very timely and helpful in answering all my questions, whether on the student forum or via email. I highly recommend this course to anyone who is new in freelance health and medical writing.”
Dr Amanda Xiaoqing Mao, PhD | Acurit Medical Communications
Lesson 3: Client Liaison, Working Efficiently & Rates
- The most effective ways to keep your clients happy and wanting more
- How to maintain the balance and take care of yourself as a solo business owner
- Essential tools and resources to help you work efficiently and productively
- The ultimate guide to rates and knowing how much you can and should charge
Lesson 4: Nailing Your Health Writing Website
- The easiest way to set up your website
- The most compelling and convincing content to include on your site
- SEO basics and other strategies that will bring clients to you
- How to use powerful tools like blogs and newsletters to your advantage
Loved the practical focus
“I loved the very practical focus of the course. The material was well structured, varied and easy to fit into a busy schedule. Time and money definitely well spent.”
Helga Mikkelsen | LinkedIn
Lesson 5: Marketing & Selling Yourself Online
- The most powerful social media platforms for freelance health writers
- How to establish yourself online and bring out your unique selling proposition
- How to get the most out of your online presence – even if you cringe at the thought of ‘putting yourself out there’
- How to network in the health writing industry for maximum impact
Lesson 6: Finding Clients & Long-Term Success Strategies
- Successful, effective strategies for finding your first health writing clients
- Where and how to find the best-paying clients in the health industry
- Turning those first clients into regular clients who will pay monthly fees and retainers
- Setting the foundation for long-term success – keeping and building momentum as your business grows
New in 2018: the Health Writer Hub Alumni
The Health Writer Hub Alumni is a collective group of ALL Health Writer Hub students. You join the group as soon as you sign up.
Alumni benefits include:
- Access to FREE monthly online webinars focused on specific health writing topics – upcoming topics in 2018 include quoting for jobs, finding clients and ethical/legal considerations
- Loyalty discounts – 30% off any other Health Writer Hub course
- Global networking – connect with health writers from around the world
- A supportive network of health writers – ask questions, and share advice
- Opportunities to pitch for freelance work – when work is referred in the group
- Immediate access – no need to wait until the course commences to start participating
All the information I need and more to confidently get my freelance career underway
“I’ve really been at a bit of a loss as to where and how to get started on a freelance medical writing career. I’ve done the studying on the actual medical writing part but really had no practical information on how to begin and the best way to do this. Studying the Health Writer Hub course has given me all the information I need and more to confidently get my freelance career underway! Michelle has been super helpful and communicative so it’s been nice to know there’s support there.”
Nicola Parrington | Clinical Copy
Who I am, and why I want to help you succeed.
Hi – I’m Michelle Guillemard, creator of Health Writer Hub (you can read more about Health Writer Hub and me here). Over the years, I’ve had the privilege of teaching hundreds of students about health writing.
Health Writer Hub has one mission: enhance the quality of health content to create better health outcomes and change lives. That’s the underlying principle of all my health writing courses.
As soon as I quit employed work to become a freelance health writer, I realised following through with the decision wasn’t nearly as terrifying as I had imagined it to be. The freelance business strategy I applied enabled me to achieve my 3-year goal in my first year of business. Since, I’ve maintained a full schedule – even with an assistant writer and a pool of contract writers.
Over the years, I’ve spoken to hundreds of health & medical writers around the world about the fear and reluctance that holds us back from taking the plunge into the freelance world.
I want to help alleviate those concerns and make it easy and accessible for those with the desire to pursue a freelance career in the health writing niche to start.
In my course, I share what worked well, and what I’d do differently if I had my time over. I give you all the tools I wish I’d had access to when I first started out.
You’re probably interested in How To Become A Freelance Health Writer because you have health, medical or scientific qualifications, and/or writing qualifications. Yet, you’re feeling challenged when it comes to building a career as a freelance health writer. You’ve got the skills – you’re almost ready to begin.
My course will fill those last remaining gaps – so you can start your freelancing journey effectively and be equipped with the knowledge and power to succeed.
If you’re ready to start your freelancing journey in 2018, join me in my next How To Become A Freelance Health Writer class.
Cannot recommend this course enough
“I cannot recommend this course enough. The information is comprehensive; you can confidently launch your business with all the tools and knowledge that Michelle has offered in this course. A true treasure for any freelance wannabe!”
Frequently asked questions
What you need to know.
What past students have said about How To Become A Freelance Health Writer.
Provided me with the foundation and tools I require to find success
“There is a lot of detail involved in starting a health and medical writing business. I can only imagine the time and energy this course has saved me on researching the ins and outs of building a successful business. This course has provided me with the foundation and tools I require to find success. All my questions were answered, and I have already bragged about this course to several people!”
Leah Weiss | Weissedits
Very engaging and informative
“A very engaging and informative course for those wishing to use their writing skills to create a business.”
Dr Catherine Odlum, Ireland
My only disappointment was that it came to an end!
“I really enjoyed the freelance health writer course – my only disappointment was that it came to an end! The content was very informative, well structured and relevant. Michelle is responsive and always ready to discuss further questions via email. I would recommend it to others thinking about freelancing.”
Amanda Holman, UK
Really enjoyed the course
“I really enjoyed the How To Become A Freelance Health Writer course and came away with a lot of very useful information and strategies for expanding my freelance business. Thanks Michelle for being so generous passing on all your wisdom and experience.”
Joanna White, Australia | Joanna White
So impressed…everything is logically thought out and easy to follow
“Having “hobbled together” a consultancy business for a year between jobs, I am so impressed by the way Michelle has put together everything that I eventually learned plus so much more that I just didn’t think about in this course. Everything is logically thought out, easy to follow even if it isn’t easy to do and provides a great framework for thinking through all the essentials for setting up a new business. Well done and thank you Michelle.”
Dr Deborah Southwell, Australia
I now feel prepared!
“How To Become A Freelance Health Writer is well-designed and logical. The materials are of excellent quality, and very detailed. I now feel prepared!”
Simon Van Rysewyk, Australia
Michelle is extremely thoughtful, professional and generous
“I feel very fortunate to have made a professional connection with Michelle. After meeting Michelle in 2013, she has been assisting me with advice and guidance on how to further my work and refine my skills as a medical writer. Michelle is extremely professional, thoughtful and generous. I also value her extensive experience in the medical writing field. I know I can continue to learn a lot more from her guidance, insight and encouragement. She has been a great influence on the writing choices and progress I have made since we met. I cannot recommend her highly enough.”
Annalies Corse, Australia
An absolute must for anyone considering becoming a freelance medical writer
“Michelle’s course is an absolute must for anyone considering becoming a freelance medical writer. The amount of information made available is brilliant and very informative. The podcasts accompanying the information are excellent. Michelle’s advice is invaluable.”
Angela Johns, Australia
Provides us with knowledge to run any business
“How To Become A Freelance Health Writer provides us with knowledge to run not only a freelance health writing business but also any other business.”
Bundeth Seng, Cambodia
I have not looked back … Michelle’s advice and support are fabulous
“Michelle is friendly and approachable and her advice and support are fabulous for guiding me through the early phases of business set-up and delivery. Michelle shares her business insights openly, understands my needs well and is readily available to talk whenever I need further advice. I highly recommend Michelle to anyone seeking a confident entry into the medical and health writing field.”
Kara Gilbert | KMG Communications