Become a health & medical copywriter
Welcome to Principles Of Health & Medical Copywriting, a CPD-certified course teaching you the essential best-practices of high-quality healthcare copywriting.
- Learn at your own pace
- Lifetime access
- Tutor support
- Private student group
- All you need is an internet connection!
The next class starts in November 2018
Register your interest and join the wait list.
Who should take this course?
This health & medical copywriting course is perfect for you if you’re:
- A health professional, scientist, MD or PhD interested in a career change – you’re keen to explore opportunities for medical copywriting in addition to (or instead of) your clinical or scientific work
- A healthcare business owner looking to improve your writing – you write your business content, and you’d like to learn how persuasive writing can improve your bottom line
- A health communicator who wants to expand your existing medical writing abilities – you already have writing skills and health knowledge, but not a lot of experience when it comes to creating persuasive, compelling copy for healthcare brands and businesses
- A writer who is new to the medical copywriting industry – you are interested in becoming a medical copywriter and would like to learn more about how to begin working in the field
- A freelance health & medical writer who is keen to offer medical copywriting as a service – you would like to gain the skills needed to write clear, compelling and results-driven medical copywriting for your clients
A great class for someone who wants to break into the field!
“Principles Of Health & Medical Copywriting is a great class for someone who wants to break into the field! Completing this course gave me the confidence I needed to go further with my career.”
Jackie Rogers, USA
Ready to learn the power of persuasion?
Here’s what you’ll learn.
- A comprehensive overview of the medical copywriting field – and how you can begin to build a career in the industry
- The many companies and clients who hire medical copywriters – so you’re very aware of the opportunities in the industry
- The sheer variety of medical copywriting projects – everything from product copy to email newsletters, and blogs to eDetailers
- How much money you can make as a medical copywriter – as well as the pricing strategies that help you win work
- What clients and employers are looking for when they’re considering working with medical copywriters – essential skills, attributes, experience and qualifications needed to become a medical copywriter
- Getting from a blank page to a completed brief – how to start writing your first medical copywriting project
- The most effective persuasive writing techniques – to help you get comfortable and confident using the power of persuasion in your writing
- Strategies for establishing consumer trust and writing engaging copy – how to write trustworthy content that inspires action, even when you’re writing ‘serious’ content
- Legal and regulatory considerations all medical copywriters need to know about – so your work is compliant and doesn’t mislead your readers
- How to write high-quality medical copy – ethical considerations, as well as how to cite medical research and reference your work correctly
- How to make your copywriting look beautiful – so the readability and aesthetics complement your crafty copy
How does it work?
Here’s what you can expect.
Principles Of Health & Medical Copywriting runs for four weeks, and every week we focus on a new lesson. You’ll complete the lesson in your own time during the week, and each lesson requires a time commitment of around 4-8 hours.
Earn CPD points
Principles Of Health & Medical Copywriting is an approved Continuing Professional Development (CPD) course, independently accredited with the CPD Certification Service – one of the world’s leading independent CPD accreditation institutions.
As a CPD-accredited course, Principles Of Health & Medical Copywriting meets the required standard of CPD at a global level. The course’s learning value and structure conform to global CPD guidelines and principles, complementing the CPD policies of professional institutes and academic bodies.
If you are a health professional, you can use the certificate of completion to claim 24 hours of CPD.
The go-to expert for those starting out a writing career in the health niche
“I was fortunate enough to have Michelle as my writing mentor when I began health writing. She’s the go-to expert for those starting out a writing career in the health or medical niche, with insider tips and advice to help you start successfully. In fact, Michelle pointed me to an online resource where I managed to land one of my best-paying clients!”
Joe Leech | Diet vs Disease
Here’s what you get.
- Audio lectures (podcasts) discussing the lessons and learning objectives
- 1 live video call where we’ll get together virtually and you can pick my brain
- Podcast notes covering the lesson topics
- Weekly copywriting exercises to help you put the learnings into practice
- Dozens of handouts and recommended reading links
- Templates and guidelines to help you plan your content
- Personalised feedback on every writing task you submit (Premium course only)
- Student-only discussion forums so you can chat with other course students
- Certificate to put towards self-study or CPD
- Unlimited email access to your teacher for the duration of the course
- Health Writer Hub Alumni membership – includes loyalty discounts and free monthly webinars
Michelle is extremely thoughtful, professional and generous
“I feel very fortunate to have made a professional connection with Michelle. After meeting Michelle in 2013, she has been assisting me with advice and guidance on how to further my work and refine my skills as a medical writer. Michelle is extremely professional, thoughtful and generous. I also value her extensive experience in the medical writing field. I know I can continue to learn a lot more from her guidance, insight and encouragement. She has been a great influence on the writing choices and progress I have made since we met. I cannot recommend her highly enough.”
Annalies Corse, Australia
Writing task feedback
Included with the Premium course.
The Premium course includes personalised feedback on your writing tasks. You’ll receive a detailed critique of each task with action points and tips for improvement. This feedback is just between us and is extremely beneficial if you’re looking for personalised, practical tips to help you improve your writing skills.
Your curriculum guide.
Lesson 1: An introduction to health & medical copywriting
We begin with a comprehensive overview of the health & medical copywriting industry.
- Learn about the various forms of medical copywriting – everything from advertising to sales letters, email marketing, blogging, website copywriting, product information, SEO and more
- Explore the vast employment opportunities – learn who you can work for as both a freelance and employed medical copywriter, as well as how much money you can expect to make as a medical copywriter
- Discover what clients and employers are looking for in a medical copywriter for hire – including skills, experience, qualifications, attributes, CVs and your portfolio
- Find out how to transition to medical copywriting and get started working in the field – my top strategies to help you plan your entry into the world of medical copywriting
Lesson 2: Mindset, research, voice, and drafting
You’ve got a brief. Now what? Believe it or not, background work is just as – if not MORE – important than copywriting itself. That’s why our second lesson focuses on the essential preparation needed to write compelling medical copy.
- Develop a copywriting mindset – learn what this mindset entails and why you need it before you start writing
- Learn how to research your customer needs – so your copywriting is highly targeted and highly effective
- Understand your project’s key requirements – the crucial questions to ask before you start working that will save you time and take your copy to extraordinary heights
- Learn how to start writing when presented with a blank page – plus templates to help if you’re struggling to get started
Lesson 3: Persuasion, trust, engagement and action
In copywriting, persuasion is the name of the game. In this lesson, you’ll learn how to weave the most persuasive writing techniques into your medical copywriting.
- Get comfortable and confident with persuasion – compelling offers, power words, persuasion psychology and more: I break it down, step-by-step, to help you understand how to use persuasion in your writing
- Discover how to weave in elements that build trust – learn what does and doesn’t work when it comes to building and establishing trust in medical copywriting
- Grasp the essential best practices for writing engaging medical copy – strategies to help you generate leads, clicks and sales, even when writing extremely ‘medical’ copy
- Action, action, action – learn about call-to-actions and be taught strategies for creating clear, actionable medical copy
Lesson 4: Essential information for medical copywriters
The fourth and final lesson of your medical copywriting course covers the key topics you need to be aware of before you even think about publishing or submitting your medical copy.
- Legal and regulatory considerations all medical copywriters need to know – so your work is compliant and doesn’t mislead your readers
- How to write high-quality medical copy – ethical considerations, social responsibility, citing medical research, and referencing your work correctly
- How to make your copywriting look beautiful – ensure the readability and aesthetics complement your crafty copywriting
- Tips and tricks to make your completed copywriting even more powerful – the secret tactics used by the most successful copywriters
Every student gets lifetime access to the Health Writer Hub Alumni
The Health Writer Hub Alumni is a collective group of ALL Health Writer Hub students. Alumni benefits include:
- Access to FREE monthly online webinars focused on specific health writing topics – upcoming topics in 2018 include quoting for jobs, finding clients and ethical/legal considerations
- Loyalty discounts – 30% off any other Health Writer Hub course
- Global networking – connect with health writers from around the world
- A supportive network of health writers – ask questions, and share advice
- Opportunities to pitch for freelance work – when work is referred in the group
- Immediate access – no need to wait until the course commences to start participating
Who I am, and why I want to help you succeed.
Hi – I’m Michelle Guillemard, creator of Health Writer Hub (you can read more about Health Writer Hub and me here). Over the years, I’ve had the privilege of teaching hundreds of students about health writing.
Health Writer Hub has one mission: enhance the quality of health content to create better health outcomes and change lives. That’s the underlying principle of all my health writing courses.
Health & medical copywriting is about inspiring action. As a copywriter, your job is to encourage the intended response with credible, compliant and responsible content. Ultimately, conversion is the skill – and power – of effective copywriting. But conversion isn’t just about sales – it’s about education, inspiration, empowerment and even behaviour change.
As a health writer, you are a public health advocate. Your words have the power to inspire positive action in your readers. Your content can help people improve their health literacy skills, so they can make informed choices about their health.
If you want to be an authentic, responsible and creative health copywriter, then Principles Of Health & Medical Copywriting is the course for you.
I have not looked back … Michelle’s advice and support are fabulous
“Michelle is friendly and approachable and her advice and support are fabulous for guiding me through the early phases of business set-up and delivery. Michelle shares her business insights openly, understands my needs well and is readily available to talk whenever I need further advice. I highly recommend Michelle to anyone seeking a confident entry into the medical and health writing field.”
Kara Gilbert | KMG Communications