Discover the art and science of effective health copywriting
Welcome to Principles Of Health & Medical Copywriting, a CPD-certified course teaching you the essential best-practices of high-quality healthcare copywriting.
- Improve your writing skills
- Get better results from your writing
- Make a stronger first impression
- Convert more readers and customers
- Achieve industry standards
- Create a professional look and feel
- Write compliant, best-practice health content
Who should take this course?
Principles Of Health & Medical Copywriting is perfect for you if you’re:
- A health professional, coach, PhD or physician – you’re interested in a career change, and you’re keen to explore copywriting opportunities in addition to (or instead of) your current work
- A health blogger, business owner or an employee looking for skill development – you write health content in your day-to-day role, and you’d like to discover how effective copywriting can enhance your results
- A health, medical or science communicator who is new to copywriting – you already have writing expertise and health knowledge, but you want to diversify your skill set and learn how to create persuasive, compelling copy
- A freelance writer who’s keen to offer copywriting as a service – you want to gain the skills needed to write clear, compelling and results-driven health & medical copy for your clients
What will you learn?
Principles Of Health & Medical Copywriting is your ultimate guide to health & medical copywriting essentials, covering:
- A comprehensive overview of the medical copywriting field
- How to build a career in the industry
- The many companies and clients who hire medical copywriters
- The sheer variety of medical copywriting projects
- How much money you can make as a medical copywriter
- Pricing strategies that help you win copywriting jobs
- What clients and employers are looking for in a professional copywriter
- Essential skills, attributes, experience and qualifications
- How to ensure your work is compliant and doesn’t mislead your readers
- Evidence-based persuasive writing techniques
- How to get from a blank page to a completed brief
- Strategies for building trust and writing engaging copy
- How to get comfortable and confident using the power of persuasion
- How to write trustworthy content that inspires action
- How to make even ‘serious’ medical copy sound engaging and inspiring
- How to cite medical research and reference your work correctly
- Legal, regulatory and ethical considerations all copywriters need to know
- Copywriting format, design and layout best practices
How does it work?
Here’s what you can expect.
Principles Of Health & Medical Copywriting runs for four weeks, and every week we focus on a new lesson. You’ll complete the lesson in your own time during the week, and each lesson requires a time commitment of around 4-8 hours.
Earn CPD points
Principles Of Health & Medical Copywriting is an approved Continuing Professional Development (CPD) course, independently accredited with the CPD Certification Service – one of the world’s leading independent CPD accreditation institutions.
As a CPD-accredited course, Principles Of Health & Medical Copywriting meets the required standard of CPD at a global level. The course’s learning value and structure conform to global CPD guidelines and principles, complementing the CPD policies of professional institutes and academic bodies.
If you are a health professional, you can use the certificate of completion to claim 24 hours of CPD.
Here’s what you get.
- Audio lectures (podcasts) discussing the lessons and learning objectives
- 1 live video call where we’ll get together virtually and you can pick my brain
- Podcast notes covering the lesson topics
- Weekly copywriting exercises to help you put the learnings into practice
- Dozens of handouts full of best-practice resources
- Templates and guidelines to help you plan your content
- Personalised feedback on every writing task you submit
- Student-only Facebook group so you can chat with other course students
- Certificate to put towards self-study or CPD
- Unlimited email access to your teacher for the duration of the course
- Health Writer Hub Alumni membership including free webinars
- World-class learning platform for a seamless learning experience – new for November 2018!
Feedback and Alumni success.
Anne Watkins is a UK-based freelance writer with over 25 years’ experience working in the fields of healthcare, stress management and neuro-linguistic programming communication skills. She’s worked as a practising midwife, a critical care nurse, a nurse teacher and clinical educationalist. She currently continues to lecture in communication skills and medical hypnosis at a leading UK University and offer training for multidisciplinary medical teams in NLP communication skills.
Anne says, “For years copywriting seemed like a dark art to me but thanks to Michelle’s course I discovered that the niche of technical copywriting fits my skill set perfectly. I now have much more confidence in applying for jobs and in calling myself a medical copywriter. I still refer back to the course materials from time to time, and each time I find myself learning something new. The links to additional learning at the end of each section are also very helpful and a fabulous way of reinforcing the key messages of each unit. This is a course that is going to stay bookmarked in my favourites folder for a long time to come.”
Karen Farrar is a cardiac physiologist and sonographer turned writer from Melbourne who believes her background in health care turned out to be an ideal training ground for writing, editing, communications and strategy.
Karen says, “Coming from a health professional background, I was used to writing in a more academic and report-based style for other professionals. The Principles Of Health & Medical Copywriting course helped me develop a writing style for a broader audience, and taught me how content can be written to create trust and encourage action. I have used these principles to write a range of content for health professionals including web copy, professional profiles and social media posts. I now also apply them to copywriting in other sectors. This course also has important information for writers from non-health backgrounds, particularly on legal and regulatory issues of writing about health products and practitioners.”
Jackie Rogers is a freelance content writer and blogger based in Denver, Colorado. She took Principles Of Health & Medical Copywriting because she, like most students, wanted best-practice resources to help her learn how to be a persuasive health copywriter.
Jackie says, “My goal in life is to create resources which encourage people to live their healthiest lives and be the best version of themselves. I want to help healthcare providers who want to help others by showcasing their expertise and helping them build trust with their audience. I took this class almost a year ago, and I still have all of the resources saved! The information about creating avatars was extremely helpful in my case to narrow down what I was trying to convey. This is a great class for someone who wants to break into the field! Completing this course gave me the confidence I needed to go further with my career.”
Nancy Linford, PhD, is an experienced biomedical writer and editor with an MS degree in Biology and a PhD in Pharmacology. An American living in Reykjavík, Iceland, Nancy believes that great science and great medicine need great communication.
Nancy says, “This course gave me the confidence and skills that were necessary to expand my freelance medical writing business into health copywriting. I especially appreciated Michelle’s detailed advice on how to create intriguing copy while maintaining the highest standards of professional integrity.”
Writing task feedback
Personal coaching to improve your writing skills.
The course includes personalised feedback on your writing tasks. You’ll receive a detailed critique of each task with action points and tips for improvement. This feedback is just between us and is extremely beneficial if you’re looking for personalised, practical tips to help you improve your writing skills.
Your curriculum guide.
Lesson 1: An introduction to health & medical copywriting
We begin with a comprehensive overview of the health & medical copywriting industry.
- Discover the many forms of health & medical copywriting – learn about ads, sales copy, email marketing, blogging, website copywriting, product information, patient education, SEO and more
- Explore the vast employment opportunities – see who you can work for as both a freelance and employed copywriter, and gain an understanding of how much money you can expect to make
- Discover what clients and employers are looking for in a copywriter for hire – be taught about essential skills, experience, qualifications, attributes, CVs and your portfolio
- Find out how to transition to the health & medical copywriting field – I’ll give you my top strategies to help you plan your entry into the industry
Lesson 2: Mindset, research, voice and drafting
You’ve got a brief. Now what? Believe it or not, background work is just as – if not MORE – important than the words you put on the page. That’s why our second lesson focuses on the essential preparation needed to write compelling health & medical copy.
- Develop a copywriting mindset – learn what this mindset entails and why you need it before you start writing
- Find out how to research your customer needs – get strategies to ensure your copywriting is highly targeted and extremely effective
- Understand your project’s key requirements – discover the crucial questions to ask before you start working so you will save you time and enhance the quality of your work
- Learn how to start writing when presented with a blank page – get templates to help if you’re struggling to get started
Lesson 3: Persuasion, trust, engagement and action
In copywriting, persuasion is the name of the game. In this lesson, you’ll learn how to weave persuasive writing techniques into your health & medical copywriting.
- Get comfortable and confident with persuasion – learn about compelling offers, power words, persuasion psychology and more
- Discover how to build trust with your readers – be taught what does (and doesn’t) establish consumer trust and loyalty
- Grasp the essential best practices for writing engaging health & medical copy – get strategies to help you generate leads, clicks and sales, even when you’re writing serious ‘medical’ copy
- Action, action, action – learn about call-to-actions and be taught strategies for creating clear, actionable copy
Lesson 4: Essential information for health & medical copywriters
The fourth and final lesson of your copywriting course covers the key, industry-specific topics that all professional health & medical copywriters need to know.
- Explore legal and regulatory laws – I’ll show you how to ensure your copywriting is compliant and not misleading
- Discover how to write high-quality health & medical copy – learn about ethical considerations, social responsibility, meaningful messages, citing medical research and referencing your work correctly
- Get strategies to make your copywriting look beautiful – be taught essential layout, formatting and readability best practices
- Learn tips and tricks to make your copywriting even more powerful – discover the secret copywriting tactics used by the most successful copywriters
Join a supportive group of like-minded copywriters
When you join Principles Of Health & Medical Copywriting, you become a member of the Health Writer Hub Alumni – a smart, diverse and friendly community of health writers from around the world. Alumni benefits include:
- FREE monthly webinars focused on specific health writing topics – topics in 2018 include quoting for jobs, finding clients and ethical/legal considerations
- Loyalty discounts – 30% off any other Health Writer Hub course
- Global networking – connect with health writers from around the world
- A supportive network of health writers – ask questions, and share advice
- Opportunities to pitch for freelance work – when work is referred in the group
- Immediate access – join the group as soon as you sign up
Who I am, and why I want to help you succeed.
Hi – I’m Michelle Guillemard, creator of Health Writer Hub (you can read more about me here).
When I launched Health Writer Hub in 2014, my aim was to create a best-practice resource to empower health writers to develop their skills, grow their careers and improve the quality of health content on the web.
Health & medical copywriting is about inspiring action. As a copywriter, your job is to encourage the intended response with credible, compliant and responsible content. Ultimately, conversion is the skill – and power – of effective copywriting. But, conversion isn’t just about sales – it’s about education, inspiration, empowerment and behaviour change.
As a health writer, you’re a public health advocate. Your words have the power to inspire positive action in your readers. Your content can help people improve their health literacy skills – so they can make informed choices about their health.
If you want to be an authentic, responsible and creative health copywriter, then Principles Of Health & Medical Copywriting is the course for you.
I have not looked back … Michelle’s advice and support are fabulous
“Michelle is friendly and approachable and her advice and support are fabulous for guiding me through the early phases of business set-up and delivery. Michelle shares her business insights openly, understands my needs well and is readily available to talk whenever I need further advice. I highly recommend Michelle to anyone seeking a confident entry into the medical and health writing field.”
Kara Gilbert | KMG Communications