Explore a career in health writing
Breaking Into Health Writing is an online course packed full of practical, insider advice and best-practice resources for aspiring health writers.
- Exclusive healthcare writing industry insights
- Practical, easy-to-implement advice
- Expert guidance for planning your transition
- Student group support so you can connect with your virtual colleagues!
- Teacher Q&A and feedback
- All your questions answered
- Lifetime access to the course and future updates
Who should take this course?
Breaking Into Health Writing is perfect for you if:
- You’re exploring career options in health & medical writing
- You’re a health professional looking for side income
- You’d like to know who the industry clients and employers are
- You want to know if you have the right skills to be a professional writer
- You want a plan for transitioning to the field
- You want to feel thoroughly prepared before you transition
What will you learn?
Through Breaking Into Health Writing, you will:
- Get a comprehensive guide to the health & medical writing industry
- Explore the various health writing styles and topics you can write about
- Discover the clients and employers who hire health & medical writers
- Learn the core differences between freelance and employed work
- Plan your entry into the field!
How does it work?
Here’s what you can expect.
As soon as you register for Breaking Into Health Writing, you’ll be able to log in and start working through the course. Breaking Into Health Writing includes 12 comprehensive lessons. Each lesson contains practical, insider information to help you explore a career in health writing. You can also email your teacher, at any time, if you have questions along the way.
Your lesson plan.
1. What do health writers do?
Explore the complete scope of health & medical writing (the variety may surprise you).
3. Skills and qualifications.
Learn options for enhancing your skills and completing further training.
5. Staying up-to-date with the industry.
Learn about regulations, laws, controversies and how to keep up with industry news.
7. Freelance health & medical writing.
Learn what’s involved in building a freelance business and finding clients.
9. Making industry contacts and networking.
Learn how to start making lifelong connections in the industry.
11. Rates and making money.
Learn where some of the best-paying health & medical writing markets are.
2. Who do health writers work for?
Discover the businesses, companies and clients who hire health & medical writers.
4. How to write clear health content.
Get writing tips and advice to help you produce high-quality health & medical content.
6. How to get health writing experience.
Discover how to create and enhance your health & medical writing portfolio.
8. Finding employed work.
Discover where and how to find full-time and part-time health & medical writing jobs.
10. Transitioning from another area.
Develop a plan for transitioning to the field with confidence.
12. Building and defining your career.
Plan your next steps, including how to focus on the health-related areas you love.
Who I am, and why I want to help you succeed.
Hi – I’m Michelle Guillemard, founder of Health Writer Hub (you can read more about me here).
When I launched Health Writer Hub in 2014, my aim was to create a best-practice resource to empower health writers to develop their skills, grow their careers and improve the quality of health content on the web.
In Breaking Into Health Writing, I answer the most common questions I get asked about becoming a health writer. I created this course to give aspiring health writers a comprehensive guide to the industry.
If you’re ready to explore a career in health writing and develop a plan to transition to the field with confidence, Breaking Into Health Writing is for you.
Join a supportive group of like-minded health writers
When you join Breaking Into Health Writing, you become a member of the Health Writer Hub Alumni – a smart, diverse and friendly community of health writers from around the world. Alumni benefits include:
- Access to FREE monthly online webinars – a new health writing webinar is released every month
- Loyalty discounts – 30% off any other Health Writer Hub course
- Community – connect with a lovely bunch of enthusiastic, professional health writers
- Opportunities to pitch for freelance work – when work is referred in the group
- Real-time advice – ask the group questions and get practical help whenever you need it
- Immediate access – join as soon as you register
Frequently asked questions
What you need to know.
Read student reviews.
Exceeded my expectations
“I took this course to find out more about health writing for a potential career change. As a healthcare professional exploring career options, I found that Breaking Into Health Writing was the perfect course for me. The e-learning platform was state of the art, intuitive and simple to use. The information was targeted, comprehensive and practical and the course exceeded my expectations”
Michelle Anderson, Australia
Packed with high-quality, actionable content
“The course was packed with high quality, actionable content. It was not only engaging and insightful, it was also concisely written into easy-to-digest chunks. A large amount of additional reading material provided further interest and depth to the course. Each lesson linked well with the next lesson and the course flowed seamlessly. The presentation of the information was clearly formatted ensuring an easy-to-read lesson. Your friendly and conversational writing style are a breath of, fresh air and I found myself looking forward to the next installment. You have well-and-truly over-delivered with your “Breaking Into Health Writing” course!”
Joanne Thambyah, Australia
I looked forward to each day!
“I looked forward each day to seeing what the next nugget would be! Breaking Into Health Writing has been motivational for me, and is helping me focus on next steps.”
Lee Nourse, Canada
Answered all my questions
“Thank you, Michelle, for putting this course together. It not only answered all my questions about health writing but has inspired me to explore this as a career opportunity when l finish my bachelor degree. I would highly recommend this course to anyone interested in learning more about health writing.”
Courtney Baker, Australia
Saves hours of researching
“Thank you so much for this amazing and informative course. Breaking Into Health Writing covers everything a health writer is looking for when he starting their career. It saves hours of researching into how to start career as health writer.”
Samreen Salim, Pakistan
Michelle is the go-to expert for those starting out a writing career in the health niche
“I was fortunate enough to have Michelle as my writing mentor when I began health writing. She’s the go-to expert for those starting out a writing career in the health or medical niche, with insider tips and advice to help you start successfully. In fact, Michelle pointed me to an online resource where I managed to land one of my best-paying clients!”
Joe Leech, Diet vs Disease
Sign up for Breaking Into Health Writing
- 12 lessons
- 1:1 support
- Student group
- Free monthly webinars
- Loyalty discounts
- Flexible learning
- Lifetime access
Spread the cost over 3 easy monthly payments.
Save more than 15% and pay upfront.