Review your own work with confidence.
You have the first draft. Now what? If you struggle to edit and improve your writing, this course is for you. Learn effective strategies for ensuring you’ve captured the best practices of high-quality health writing. There’s SO much to remember when you’re writing health & medical content – and it’s easy to overlook some of the essentials during the drafting stage. That’s why you need a solid review process that captures all the fundamentals.
This course is:
- Available on demand – from January 2021
- Easy to follow – with lessons covering the most common health & medical writing dilemmas
- Delivered as a series of podcasts AND text modules – so you can learn in your preferred style.
Hi there – I’m Michelle Guillemard, your teacher.
With more than ten years of industry experience, I created the Amplify Your First Draft course to help you improve your first draft and learn the essential editing skills that all professional medical writers need. Since 2014, thousands of aspiring writers and health professionals have enhanced their health & medical writing skills with me.
Keen to join in? Read on to find out more about Amplify Your First Draft!
Industry-leading resources to help you improve your first draft and learn in-demand editing and proofreading techniques.
- 12 comprehensive lessons (audio lectures AND text modules) meeting the core learning objectives
- 14+ free health writing webinars to enhance your learning objectives
- Homework questions to help you reflect and put the learnings into practice
- Personalised feedback and all your questions answered
- Certificate upon completion
- Lively student-only Facebook group of 720+ writers
- Lifetime access so you can dive back in whenever you need a refresher
- Loyalty discounts giving you 30% off every other course
- World-class eLearning platform for a seamless learning experience.
12 lessons full of best-practice advice you can start using today.
Part 1: You’ve written the first draft. Now what?
The editing process – from first draft to polished prose.
Discover the fine art of improving your own work.
The differences between editing and proofreading.
Learn why understanding these differences matters.
Conducting an initial assessment of your writing.
Identify the missing pieces and determine whether your content is achieving its goals.
Part 2: Addressing the three most common health & medical writing dilemmas
The importance of structure.
Determine the most appropriate structure for your first draft.
Readability and relevance.
Learn how to edit your draft into easy-to-understand content for your target audience.
Writing about research and evidence correctly.
Ensure your health claims, research and medical evidence are accurate.
Part 3: Health & medical editing specifics
Health & medical writing best practices.
Get super-useful checklists covering the essential best practices of high-quality health & medical writing, including health literacy, engagement, persuasion and behaviour change.
How to conduct a compliance edit.
Determine whether your first draft is compliant with local guidelines, rules, regulations and legislation.
Effective referencing techniques to know.
Learn correct referencing techniques and discover which health claims require a reference.
Part 4: Future strategies
Essential editing and proofreading tools and resources.
Discover the best, most effective tools on the market today.
Effective efficiency strategies.
Learn how to edit your own work efficiently – even when you have limited time.
Avoid making the same mistakes twice.
Consolidate all the techniques in this course and develop strategies to write a better first draft next time.
FREE access to the Health Writer Hub Alumni Webinar Library
- 14 webinars to enhance your learning objectives
- Watch on-demand with lifetime access
- 10+ hours of online learning included for free
- Learn about freelance writing, finding work and writing tips with webinar topics covering quoting for jobs, finding clients, CV writing, finding employed work, website essentials, subcontracting, marketing and more!
What are the opportunities after I complete the course?
After you complete Amplify Your First Draft, you will have:
- Editing skills to help you improve your first drafts – now, and in future
- Confidence to edit your own work effectively and efficiently
- Knowledge to ensure your work is best-practice and industry-standard.
How does this medical editing course work?
Here’s what you can expect.
As soon as you register for Amplify Your First Draft, you can log in and start working through the course. Amplify Your First Draft includes 12 comprehensive lessons. Each lesson contains easy-to-implement techniques, strategies and processes. You can also email your teacher, at any time, if you have questions.
Your industry expert
Who I am, and why I want to help you succeed.
Hi – I’m Michelle Guillemard, founder of Health Writer Hub (you can read more about me here).
When I launched Health Writer Hub in 2014, I aimed to create a best-practice resource to empower health writers to develop their skills, grow their careers and improve the quality of health content on the web.
Editing your own work is NOT easy – but, with the right techniques, a good edit will transform your first draft into an engaging, effective piece. In Amplify Your First Draft, I address the most common questions and dilemmas I’ve seen in the six years I’ve been teaching writing courses. I created this course to give aspiring health writers actionable tips and essential editing skills.
If you’re ready to learn effective techniques for editing your own work and improving your health & medical writing skills, Amplify Your First Draft is the course for you!
My teaching method
I teach this course, and all my courses, through a combination of audio lectures (podcast style) and text resources. I also offer a range of video content, including bonus webinars and regular student interviews.
After experimenting with different combinations over the years and listening to student feedback, I am confident that delivering lectures in both audio AND text format is the most effective way for you to learn health writing in an online class environment.
While it’s up to you how you consume the content, you are welcome to:
- listen and read the transcripts at the same time
- listen and take your own notes
- listen away from your computer
- read the transcripts only.
Many of you have told me that you like to listen to the lectures while driving, walking, hiking, running or cleaning the house – and, that’s fine as well!
Join a supportive group of like-minded health writers
When you join Amplify Your First Draft, you become a member of the Health Writer Hub Alumni – a smart, diverse and friendly community of 700+ health writers from around the world. Alumni benefits include:
- Loyalty discounts – 30% off any other Health Writer Hub course
- Weekly challenges – goals to keep you motivated and accountable
- Student interviews – learn the ropes from experienced students
- Extra group calls – monthly group chats with other Alumni
- Global networking – connect with health writers from around the world
- A supportive network of health writers – ask questions and share advice
- Immediate access – join the group as soon as you sign up.
Frequently asked questions
What you need to know.
Read student reviews of other Health Writer Hub courses (read more reviews here).
Exceeded my expectations
“I took this course to find out more about health writing for a potential career change. As a healthcare professional exploring career options, I found that Breaking Into Health Writing was the perfect course for me. The e-learning platform was state of the art, intuitive and simple to use. The information was targeted, comprehensive and practical and the course exceeded my expectations.”
Michelle Anderson, Australia
Easy to follow.
Overall, I really liked the Breaking Into Health Writing course. It is very well organised, helpful and easy to follow.
I looked forward to each day!
“I looked forward each day to seeing what the next nugget would be! Breaking Into Health Writing has been motivational for me, and it is helping me focus on my next steps.”
Lee Nourse, Canada
Answered all my questions
“Thank you, Michelle, for putting this course together. It not only answered all my questions about health writing but has inspired me to explore this as a career opportunity when l finish my bachelor degree. I would highly recommend this course to anyone interested in learning more about health writing.”
Courtney Baker, Australia
Saves hours of researching
“Thank you so much for this amazing and informative course. Breaking Into Health Writing covers everything a health writer is looking for when he starting their career. It saves hours of researching into how to start a career as a health writer.”
Samreen Salim, Pakistan
Michelle is the go-to expert for those starting a writing career in the health niche
“I was fortunate enough to have Michelle as my writing mentor when I began health writing. She’s the go-to expert for those starting a writing career in the health or medical niche, with insider tips and advice to help you start successfully. In fact, Michelle pointed me to an online resource where I managed to land one of my best-paying clients!”
Joe Leech, Diet vs Disease