Want to enhance your health writing skills?
Welcome to Introduction To Health Writing, an accredited 6-week online course teaching you how to write high-quality health news, features, blogs, web copy and sales copy.
The next class starts in September 2018
The course includes videos, podcasts, handouts, group calls, student forums, writing tasks and private teacher support.
Who should take this course?
This course is perfect for you if you’re:
- New to the health writing niche – and you want to know how to create high-quality, socially responsible health content
- A health professional, academic, scientist, MD – and you haven’t had a lot of experience writing for a lay audience
- Keen to progress your health writing skills – and are looking for best-practice health writing techniques
- Enthusiastic about learning a variety of different forms of health writing – including news, features, blogs and more
- Looking for a flexible online health writing course – one that fits in with your busy schedule
- Working towards getting your writing to a standard that clients and editors will be happy with – and you haven’t had a lot of experience in the consumer health writing field
- Struggle to write clearly about health, science and medicine – and would like support and feedback to help you enhance your writing skills
- Need to know how to write clear, easy-to-understand health content for your readers – and would love to help create better health outcomes for your readers and patients
- Feel you could – and should – be getting better results from your writing – and, you wish you had more confidence in your writing abilities
The course is excellent and I highly recommend it
“This has been a great course for me as a beginner in health writing. The coursework is engaging and provides a variety of tasks. Even with no face-to-face interaction, Michelle’s warm nature is evident, and her genuine and individualised feedback has been of great value. This course is excellent and I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to get into consumer health writing.”
Devika Krishnamurthy, Australia
Ready to progress your health writing skills?
Here’s what you’ll learn.
- Effective, best practice formulas for writing health news, feature articles, blogs, website content and sales content
- Strategies for engaging your readers and ensuring your content is easy to read and simple to understand
- Techniques and tips for writing about complex medical topics for consumers who have little prior health knowledge
- Resources to develop your abilities and improve your consumer health writing skills
- Key considerations when writing health and medical sales, marketing and advertising content to ensure compliance
- Successful strategies for getting the most out of your expert interviews and citing research appropriately
- Examples and templates to help you write productively and efficiently
- Personalised, practical and actionable feedback to motivate you and boost your confidence
- Knowledge of the fundamental best practices of consumer health writing
Want more learning objectives?
You’ll also be taught how to:
- Explain complex scientific and medical terms clearly and simply
- Stop using excessive jargon and medical terminology
- Empower people who have little or no prior knowledge of science, research and medicine
- Improve your writing’s readability with easy formatting tips and tricks
- Write catchy, credible and clickable headlines and intros
- Keep your readers engaged and interested in your content
- Write simply without sacrificing the original scientific meaning of your work
- Hone your tone of voice and unique personality for maximum impact
- Inspire positive behaviour change and get people excited about their health
- Promote patient adherence by using evidence-based writing strategies.
I feel much more confident to write without using my usual scientific jargon
“I would definitely recommend this course to anyone who is interested in consumer health writing. I really enjoyed the weekly writing assignments. Together with Michelle’s spot on suggestions, they taught me how to accurately write in the different styles of consumer health writing. I feel much more confident now to write for a general audience without using my usual scientific jargon. Thank you Michelle!”
Wendy van Zuijlen, Australia
How does it work?
Here’s what you can expect.
On the course start date, I’ll send you your login details. The course runs for six weeks, and every week we focus on a new lesson.
You’ll complete the lesson in your own time during the week, and each lesson requires a time commitment of around 4-8 hours. I’ll be in constant contact with you during the course through our student group and via email.
Completely changed my writing for the better
“I’m a physician and have written a few articles but didn’t know anything about templates and general guidelines for the different kinds of health writing. The tips on how to make my writing more engaging and click-read-share worthy have been invaluable. This course opened up a whole new world for me and in six weeks, has completely changed my writing for the better.”
Toju Chike-Obi, Physician and Host of The HealthZone, USA | The HealthZone
Here’s what you get.
Packed full of best-practice, actionable techniques
7 bonus modules
Two bonus lessons in addition to the six included lessons
3 coaching calls
We’ll all get together virtually to discuss the course content
Weekly health writing tasks
Put your learnings into practice every week
Premium course only, limited places available
Bonus health writing tasks
Extra homework for the ultra-keen health writers
Notes summarising the key learning objectives
Support to help guide your decision-making processes
Certificate to put towards self-assessed CPD
Understand and achieve industry standards
Templates and guidelines
My favourite health writing resources
Modular, themed learning
Modules are organised by topic and theme
Connect with other Health Writer Hub students
Access to ongoing course updates throughout the year
1:1 feedback answering all your questions
Refer back to the material whenever you want
Learn at your own pace at any time during the week
Including free monthly webinars and loyalty discounts
Writing task feedback
Included with the Premium course.
The Premium course includes personalised feedback on your writing tasks. You’ll receive a detailed critique of each task with action points and tips for improvement.
This feedback is between us and is extremely beneficial if you’re looking for personalised, practical tips to help you improve your writing skills.
Earn CPD points
Introduction To Health Writing is an approved Continuing Professional Development (CPD) course, independently accredited with the CPD Certification Service – one of the world’s leading independent CPD accreditation institutions.
As a CPD-accredited course, Introduction To Health Writing meets the required standard of CPD at a global level. The course’s learning value and structure conform to global CPD guidelines and principles, complementing the CPD policies of professional institutes and academic bodies.
If you are a health professional, you can use the certificate of completion to claim 24 hours of CPD.
“I highly recommend Michelle’s Introduction to Health Writing Course if you are thinking about writing high-quality health content. It is well organized, and you get personalized feedback that makes you a better health writer.”
Sze Huei, Switzerland| SciHealth News
Your curriculum guide.
Lesson 1: Health news
- Understanding health news – what exactly is health news, and what’s involved in writing health news?
- The structure of a health news article – core components and must-haves of a health news article
- Health news dos and don’ts – how to write high quality health news, and health news mistakes to avoid
- Finding health news, and choosing an angle – key sources of health news, the scope of health news and creating a unique angle for your news story
- Finding health experts and interviewing techniques – simple, straightforward methods to help you find relevant health experts, and the best questions to ask researchers and health experts
Lesson 2: Health features
- What is a health feature? Understanding and structuring health feature articles
- Idea generation – creating and workshopping original, compelling health feature article ideas
- Requirements gathering and researching – how to conduct research for your article thoroughly and effectively, and ensuring your idea meets the key requirements of the brief
- 10 common mistakes in health features and my top 10 feature must-haves – how to spot and avoid common errors, plus 10 techniques to lift your health features out of the ordinary
- Tone and pitching advice – nailing the article tone and pitching your feature – plus, my chat with a former Features Editor of Prevention Magazine in which she shares her winning pitching tips
Lesson 3: Engaging health writing for the web
- Readability – essential best-practices of high-quality web writing
- Headlines, intros and subheadings – writing clickable yet accurate health headlines, and how to use subheadings to guide your online content
- Engagement strategies and accuracy in a digital world – writing digital engaging content while maintaining quality and accuracy
- Defining your ideal reader – questions to help you identify your ideal reader, and techniques to help you write for your ideal reader
- Creating shareable health content – techniques for getting your content read and recommended
Lesson 4: Health blogging
- Health blogging essentials – understanding and defining modern health blogs
- Not-so-secret blogging secrets – what successful bloggers have in common
- How to write an engaging health blog post – a step-by-step guide
- Storytelling, opinion and honesty in blogging – how to use personal stories in your blogging and knowing how much of yourself to give
- Health blogging strategy – the importance of strategy in blogging success
Lesson 5: Health copywriting
- What is health copywriting? Understanding and defining different forms of health copywriting
- Features, benefits and power words – differentiate between features and benefits, and discover the most effective, accurate power words that convert your readers
- Establishing consumer trust – how to write credible and accurate health content that builds trust instantly
- SEO basics – introductory SEO writing tips and keyword research
- The power and psychology of (accurate) persuasion – learn how to persuade readers to take action without misleading them
Lesson 6: Credibility, accuracy & writing well
- The importance of credibility – why credibility must be an essential focus for every health writer
- Guidelines and regulations – how to write compliant copy, and understanding and working within strict regulatory environments
- How to check the accuracy of your work – tips to ensure your work is accurate, socially responsible and reliable
- Academic references and attributing quotes – consumer referencing techniques, and how to cite quotes from interviews, health organisations and peak bodies
- Health writing best practices, and techniques to make you a stronger writer – general tips to empower you to write high-quality health content, now and in future
Lesson 7: Simplifying complex health & medical content
- Why simplify? The impact of poor communication, and the benefits of clear communication
- What exactly is ‘clear, simple writing’? The core differences between academic and simple writing and examples of simple science writing in practice
- Cutting out jargon – identifying jargon and techniques to break down jargon
Lesson 8: Inspiring behaviour change through effective writing
- Empowering your readers – what is empowerment, why you should empower your readers, and strategies and techniques to inspire your readers
- What is storytelling? Non-fiction storytelling techniques and top science storytellers
- Understanding metaphors, similes and analogies – when and how to use them, and cautions
- Inspiring behaviour change – the power of positivity, and how not to convince and convert
You could feel that Michelle was giving a one-on-one lesson because of her conversational tone
“Even though Introduction To Health Writing is an online course, you could feel that Michelle was giving a one-on-one lesson because of her conversational tone in her weekly podcasts. I really enjoyed the recommended reading she suggests each week and I suggest anyone taking this course to spend a good amount of time doing this reading. What made me want to sign up was mainly the personalised feedback that Michelle gives for each week’s writing task. I’ve had mentors at work that would critique my pieces of writing, but it’s always good to have another set of third-party eyes to provide feedback on your overall writing. I mostly enjoyed the introduction to SEO writing, because these days you want your work to get discovered, read and shared. Thanks Michelle.”
Henry Chung, Australia
New in 2018: the Health Writer Hub Alumni
The Health Writer Hub Alumni is a collective group of ALL Health Writer Hub students. Alumni benefits include:
- Access to FREE monthly online webinars focused on specific health writing topics – upcoming topics in 2018 include quoting for jobs, finding clients and ethical/legal considerations
- Loyalty discounts – 30% off any other Health Writer Hub course
- Global networking – connect with health writers from around the world
- A supportive network of health writers – ask questions, and share advice
- Opportunities to pitch for freelance work – when work is referred in the group
- Immediate access – no need to wait until the course commences to start participating
Can’t imagine succeeding without Michelle’s help
“I’m REALLY glad I took the Introduction To Health Writing Class. It got me thinking, writing and has boosted my self-confidence. I knew before I took the class that I could do health and medical writing. But, now I feel like I’ve got more experience doing it. Michelle gave me considerate, helpful feedback that pushed me to do better. As a mentor, she is always supportive and encouraging. I can’t imagine succeeding as a medical writer without her help.”
Phyllis Edson, USA
Who I am, and why I want to help you succeed.
Hi – I’m Michelle Guillemard, creator of Health Writer Hub (you can read more about Health Writer Hub and me here). Over the years, I’ve had the privilege of teaching hundreds of students about health writing.
Health Writer Hub has one mission: enhance the quality of health content to create better health outcomes and change lives. That’s the underlying principle of all my health writing courses.
Health writing involves making sense of scientific concepts and translating those messages to the right audience in the most effective way. But enhancing your health writing skills isn’t your only priority.
As a health writer, you are a public health advocate. Your words have the power to inspire positive change in your readers. Your content can help people improve their health literacy skills so that they can make informed choices about their health.
Effective health writing isn’t just about producing clear, engaging, convincing and trustworthy content. Writing clearly about health and medicine also involves promoting adherence, fostering knowledge growth, inspiring behaviour change and, ultimately, creating better health outcomes.
If you want to learn how to write high-quality, life-changing content, then Introduction To Health Writing is the course for you.
Incredibly informative and well structured
“This course is exactly what I needed. It was incredibly informative and well structured. The amount of information is so amazing that I plan to go over the whole thing again on my own in order to make sure I absorbed everything. It was so good that now I am starting a second course, and I am seriously considering a third.”
Ilil Arbel, USA
Frequently asked questions
What you need to know.
What past students have said about Introduction To Health Writing.
My consumer health writing skills improved over the six weeks
“Every week Michelle delivered a lesson full of useful information with plenty examples to learn from. The assignments were fun, and her feedback was valuable and thoughtful. It was easy to apply her assessments, and I feel my consumer health writing skills improved over the six weeks of class.”
Kari Johnson, USA
A solid foundation upon which I can begin to build my health writing career
“Introduction to Health Writing provided me with a solid foundation upon which I can begin to build my health writing career. Michelle is a fantastic teacher who made herself available throughout the entire 6 weeks and beyond, and she provided extremely valuable and personalized feedback on each assignment. In a world where anyone can have a ‘voice’ online, I appreciated that Michelle focused on the importance of being a trustworthy source of health information for one’s readers. Upon completion of this course I have a new respect for health writers and all they must consider when producing content.”
Jacqueline Forrester, Canada
If you want to learn about health writing, you cannot go wrong by taking this course.
“Working with the instructor Michelle on Introduction To Health Writing was a joy for me. The feedback on the submitted assignments alone was worth the cost of taking the course. Michelle is professional, experienced, hardworking and helpful. If you want to learn about health writing you cannot go wrong by taking this course.”
Steve Roberts, USA
I am considering taking the Introduction To Health Writing course again to continue to develop my skills!
“Michelle introduced me to the world of health writing and its intricacies in such a well thought out and comprehensive way. I am even more excited about the field now. Her thorough and thoughtful feedback on writing pieces was invaluable. Her breadth of experience so clearly conveyed. It was a great opportunity to have direct feedback from someone with her extensive knowledge. I am considering taking the Introduction To Health Writing course again to continue to develop my skills!”
Kimberly Kehoe Brown, USA
I have recommended the course to other colleagues!
“I took the course to expand my knowledge about different types of medical writing. The material was extremely worthwhile and I enjoyed the podcasts and checklists designed by Michelle. I have recommended the course to other colleagues too!”
Charity Hix, USA
The course is fantastic and your knowledge and experience is invaluable
“I really enjoyed the Introduction To Health Writing course and I learned a lot, especially about the blogging – this task has really helped to challenge my weaknesses. I loved the way the course is so clearly structured, the handouts are easy to refer back to again and again. The templates are great and I’d be at a loss as to where to start without them, thank you so much. The links to other blogs are really helpful, as are the pointers to what one shouldn’t do. The course is fantastic and Michelle’s knowledge and experience is invaluable to helping people like me start the foray into health writing.”
Lisa Wong, UK
Gives you the confidence to write accurate yet entertaining health copy
“The Introduction to Health Writing course is a great overview of different styles of writing – for any genre. Michelle also clearly outlines the specific considerations that are specific to health writing and gives you the confidence to write accurate yet entertaining health copy. Her feedback on writing exercises is detailed and really pinpoints areas to improve – I already can hear her voice every time I’m writing a health piece. I highly recommend this course for anyone wanting to do more consumer health writing.”
Angela Denly, Australia
Encouraging and thoughtful feedback on every assignment
“Have you, like I, considered to be a health writer? Then sign up for Michelle’s course. I promise that you will not be disappointed. This course is well organized and Michelle gives you encouraging and thoughtful feedback on every assignment!”
Angelica Kjellström, Sweden
Loved the way it is structured
“Thanks Michelle, the Introduction To Health Writing course was great! I loved the way it was structured – with each lesson involving reading and listening to the materials, completing the relevant task and then getting your invaluable feedback. I’ve learnt a lot about what’s involved in health writing and have built the skills and confidence to get me started.”
Janis Harse, Australia
A great mix of podcasts, course notes, further reading and a group forum
“Michelle and Health Writer Hub fully met my expectations in learning about health material for the consumer audience. A great mix of podcasts, course notes, further reading and a group forum – but also supported by useful templates that you can take into your daily activities. I would – and have already – recommended Michelle’s course and website to a few people.”
Erin Gentry, New Zealand
Definitely a must-do course
“The Introduction to Health Writing course was engaging and way more than I expected. It seemed even more than an introduction because so many different forms of health writing were covered. The course material is engaging, thought provoking and straight forward. Michelle’s feedback is honest and clear. Definitely a must do course for anyone wishing to do health writing or having to do it.”
Michelle Thompson, Australia
Everything I was looking for
“Introduction to Health Writing was everything I was looking for. It gave me an understanding of the different types of consumer health writing, and a better understanding of the ethics and responsibilities involved. I feel much more confident in my ability to understand and accurately convey health information now and can’t wait to put it to use as a freelance writer.”
Jacqui Hawkins, UK
I really enjoyed the class
“I really enjoyed the Introduction To Health Writing class. Michelle’s feedback was very helpful and was my favorite component of the class. I now have a more clear and realistic view on the various types of health writing, my strengths, weaknesses, and what/how I can further improve my writing.”
Michelle Hyman, USA
Expanded my areas of focus
“I took this course to understand the context of health writing. As a public health practitioner, I knew the ropes … but wasn’t able to communicate especially to public and other cadres of work health workers. The course helped expand my area of focus from working on technical documents to blogging.”
Naawa Sipilanyambe, Australia
Excellent and enjoyable
“I’ve been a GP for many years. Recently I’ve been thinking about a change of scenery. I discovered I enjoyed writing after starting a blog about a hobby/passion. So, I decided to research the topic of learning medical writing. That’s how I came across your course and it seemed to be what I was looking for. I signed up. I’m glad I did. This was an excellent, enjoyable course with lots of great material. The feedback on assignments helped me enormously.”
Mandy MacIver, USA
I learned a lot
“Thank you for this course. I learnt a lot about consumer writing. The difference in consumer writing and writing for professionals is vast, and the course helped me bridge that gap quite a lot.”
Soumya Gupta, Australia
“I highly recommend the Introduction to Health Writing course for anyone starting out in this field or wanting a refresher. Michelle provides valuable guidance and resources on a variety of different styles of health writing. I particularly admired her emphasis on the importance of accurate, engaging and ethical content. As a beginner in the field I found the course challenging but Michelle’s personalised feedback was always constructive, supportive and encouraging and really helped give me more self-confidence about writing.”
Donna Armstrong, UK
Really useful for anyone wishing to explore a new career in health writing
“This course is really useful for anyone wishing to explore a new career in health writing. It provides an essential guide on how to structure the various facets of health writing. Doing this short course will save hours of researching information yourself.”
Sally Sawkill, UK
The course structure is perfect
“Michelle, your Introduction to Health Writing course is a comprehensive, informative, practical and interesting course to complete. I thoroughly enjoyed the weekly lessons and assignments. The course structure is perfect: a podcast and additional reading followed by an assignment based on the type of writing studied. The templates are an invaluable resource also provided. Overall, I would highly recommend your course.”
Jacqueline Tatham, USA