Understand health marketing
If you’re a health marketer, medical writer or health professional, you need to be aware of general consumer marketing rules as well as specific health and medical marketing rules and regulations. Rules differ, depending on the product or service you’re marketing and the claims you’re making. Confused? Fear not – we’re here to help.
This online course is:
- Easy to follow – with lessons covering the most common questions about rules, regulations and compliance
- Delivered as a series of podcasts AND text modules – so you can learn in your preferred style.
What’s included in the Health Marketing Rules & Regulations course?
Resources to help you learn the rules, regulations, guidelines and codes for marketing and advertising in the healthcare industry
- 12 comprehensive lessons (audio lectures AND text modules) meeting the core learning objectives
- 14+ free health writing webinars to enhance your learning objectives
- Homework questions to help you reflect and put the learnings into practice
- Personalised feedback and all your questions answered
- Lively student-only Facebook group of 700+ writers
- Lifetime access so you can dive back in whenever you need a refresher
- Loyalty discounts giving you 30% off every other Health Writer Hub course
- World-class eLearning platform for a seamless learning experience.
12 lessons full of best-practice advice that will help you get to grips with healthcare marketing.
Part 1: Health marketing essentials
Your role as a professional health & medical marketer.
Explore the scope of your role as a health communicator who markets products and services.
Trust and credibility.
Learn about trust and credibility in marketing, and the evolution of trust of pharma advertisements by the public and healthcare professionals.
Part 2: Understanding healthcare advertising messages
Educational vs promotional healthcare messages.
Discover how to tell if a message is educational or promotional, see if both of these categories require the same scrutiny and learn why it all matters.
Learn which countries allow direct-to-consumer advertising and explore the boundaries of these rules.
Part 3: Words matter
Acceptable information sources.
Discover how to identify high-quality, compliant and credible writing sources.
Words that are not usually acceptable in healthcare communications.
Learn which words need to be qualified and quantified, discover how to write claims accurately and understand how to tell the whole story.
Understand what balanced copy is, learn what type of balance needs to be included and see where to insert it in your content.
Part 4: Health products and regulations
Compare products with caution.
Identify core best practices and highlight certain country regulations that deal with the comparison of products.
Different regulations in different countries.
Consider the key regulatory similarities and learn how – and why – rules differ.
Best practices for submitting to local regulatory bodies.
Regulatory approval 101, from the internal committee to review, including marketing, medical and legal, regulations, how to cross-annotate the copy and the resources, and tips for organizing all the files needed throughout the approval process.
Part 5: Ongoing guidance
Your healthcare marketing toolkit.
Tools, resources and checklists to help you stay compliant.
Next steps and ongoing learning.
How to stay updated with future changes to healthcare marketing rules and legislation.
Extras: COVID-19 and healthcare communication (new)
With the pandemic showing no signs of slowing down, there’s never been a more significant time to learn about effective health communication. Communicating about COVID-19 is a topic that ALL health writers need to know about, as it will be a feature of health communication for years to come. To help you learn more about COVID-19 and responsible health communication, I’ve developed a dedicated resources page, updated regularly, which is included in your course.
FREE access to the Health Writer Hub Alumni Webinar Library
- 14 webinars enhancing your learning objectives
- Watch on-demand with lifetime access
- 10+ hours of online learning included for free
- Learn about freelance writing, finding work and writing tips with webinar topics covering quoting for jobs, finding clients, CV writing, finding employed work, website essentials, subcontracting, marketing and more!
What are the opportunities after I complete the course?
After you complete Health Marketing Rules & Regulations, you will have:
- Industry knowledge to help you stay compliant
- Confidence to market health products and services
- Clarity on the wide variety of rules and regulations that exist.
How does the course work?
Here’s what you can expect.
As soon as you register for Health Marketing Rules & Regulations, you’ll be able to log in and start working through the course.
Health Marketing Rules & Regulations includes 12 comprehensive lessons. Each lesson contains practical, insider information about different aspects of health marketing and promotions. You can also email your teachers, at any time, if you have questions.
Your industry experts
Who we are, and why we want to help you succeed.
Writing about healthcare is a privilege which comes with responsibility. The words that you write, and the ones that you omit, will influence how a medical product or service gets used. That’s why many countries have adopted their own set of healthcare rules and regulations for medical advertising.
Together, we created the Health Marketing Rules & Regulations course to give health marketers, health professionals and medical writers a comprehensive guide to the essential rules and regulations specific to the medical writing industry.
If you’re ready to explore a career in medical writing and develop a plan to transition to the field with confidence, Health Marketing Rules & Regulations is for you.
The teaching method
We teach this course through a combination of audio lectures (podcast style) and text resources. You also have access to a range of video content, including bonus webinars and regular student interviews.
After experimenting with different combinations over the years and listening to student feedback, Michelle is confident that delivering lectures in both audio AND text format is the most effective way for you to learn health writing in an online class environment.
While it’s up to you how you consume the content, you are welcome to:
- listen and read the transcripts at the same time
- listen and take your own notes
- listen away from your computer
- read the transcripts only.
Many of you say you like to listen to the lectures while driving, walking, hiking, running or cleaning the house – and, that’s fine as well!
Join a supportive group of like-minded health writers
When you join Health Marketing Rules & Regulations, you become a member of the Health Writer Hub Alumni – a smart, diverse and friendly community of 700+ health writers from around the world. Alumni benefits include:
- Loyalty discounts – 30% off any other Health Writer Hub course
- Weekly challenges – goals to keep you motivated and accountable
- Student interviews – learn the ropes from experienced students
- Extra group calls – monthly group chats with other Alumni
- Global networking – connect with health writers from around the world
- A supportive network of health writers – ask questions, and share advice
- Immediate access – join the group as soon as you sign up.
Frequently asked questions
What you need to know.
Want to know what other people think of our courses? Read 90+ student reviews of Health Writer Hub courses here.